1 whole chicken rinsed and patted dry (skin on or removed - your preference)
3-4 chicken legs and 1 chicken breast - bone in
1 tbsp olive oil (if you leave the skin on your chicken don't add the oil)
1 large onion rinsed and cut in half - skin on
1 head garlic cut in half
10 black peppercorns
2-3 carrots rinsed and cut into large chunks
3-4 ribs celery rinsed and cut into large chunks
your desired amount of fresh thyme, parsley, rosemary and bay leaf
1. place chicken in a large stock pot. cover with boiling water from the kettle. let stand 30 mins and discard water (this ensures a clear stock)
2. place all ingredients into the pot with the chicken. cover with cold water.
3. bring to a boil and reduce heat. simmer for a minimum of 1 hour.
4. strain though a fine mesh strainer.
5. season to your taste with salt and pepper.